Where the Wild Things Are: Max Costume
The Max Onesie from Where the Wild Things Are is probably going to be a very popular costume this year with the release of the movie. I’m currently sewing a homemade version of the costume for my boyfriend. This will be the biggest sewing project I’m undertaking and one of a few that I will actually finish. If y’all don’t sew or are too lazy or have the money…. here are some great options.
Max Costume from Opening Ceremony: $610. – Sold Out -, I guess the price tag did nothing to deter the hipsters.
K.W. Boxy Fur Coat from Opening Ceremony: $575. Loving it!
For the full collection of Opening Ceremony x Where the Wild Things Are, click it!
Here is a list of items needed for the Max costume if you want to undertake this yourself. All are cheaper alternatives.
1. Adult Onesie. Footed or non-footed. The movie shows a non-footed onesie with Chucks!
- Buy a larger size for a floppy look and to layer underneath
- Cut off the bottoms of a footed onesie
- Can be white or off-white
- If white: dye with a batch of hot water and teabags
Light Gray Footed Onesie: $39.99 (Via: Big Feet PJs)
– OR –
1.5. Easter Bunny Costume – You know what to do with this, cut off the gloves, if you want. Cut off the feet, cut off the cute lil bunny tail… Here are some great sources: eBay, Amazon, Froogle. Found some for $50!!!! Search words: “bunny costume” or “easter bunny costume.” The greatness of the bunny costume is that some of them already have a hood!
It’s easier to tailor a big suit to your width than to make the costume from scratch.
2. Tail: Fur remnants and fabric trims are good for this. eBay, Amazon, and Froogle are good sources. Search words: “faux fur fabric”, “faux fur fabric trim.” Should be medium to dark brown.
Other eBay items to check out:
- 54″ x 9″ Faux Fur Fabric – dark brown! ($6, ship incl.)
- 3 Pieces 12″ x 15″ Medium Brown – will need to cut and sew ($11, ship incl.)
- Faux Fur Pelted Dark Brown 18″ x 31″ – may need to cut and sew ($7, free ship.)
3. Scepter – Max is royalty. He needs one.
- Halloween Store, red or blue – $4.99
- eBay – King/Queen red Scepter – $12.00 (ship incl.)
- *Same as above – $2.95 (shipping – ?)
- King Scepter 22″ – $3.99 Amazon
- *Same as above – $6 (shipping – ?)
- Round Velvet Scepter – Hot!!! – $29.59 (shipping – ??)
4. Crown – gold. pointy. tall. more brassy color. Lots on Amazon. I’m sure this’ll be easy. Don’t forget to check out head sizes.
- Circle Point Jewel gold crown – $3.99 Amazon
- Tall Pointy Adult Crown – $10.99 Amazon. Would be perfect except for jewels at the points of the crown.
- $5.99 Amazon
- Gold Foil Flat Crown – $3.50. eBay, 10 available. Perfect! Pic below:
- Pointy Gold Foil Crown – $.69!! (shipping – ?) Also perfect with the taller points. Pic below:
For ears, they go into the crown so it can be easier to just attach some fabric to the crown itself. You can buy pipe cleaners and place them inside the ears to mold them or give them structure:
You can also use black pipe cleaners for the whiskers that go on either side of the hoodie.